Prior Authorization for Nonaffiliated Providers
Contact Security Health Plan before referring a Security Health Plan member to a nonaffiliated provider.
Security Health Plan does not cover care received from nonaffiliated providers without prior authorization from the Security Health Plan medical director except for emergency or urgent care as described in the emergency medical care/urgent care sections of this manual. If a provider feels that a Security Health Plan member needs to see a provider who is not affiliated with Security Health Plan, the provider or the patient must call Security Health Plan for approval prior to the member’s visit with the nonaffiliated provider. If Security Health Plan does not approve the referral, services with the nonaffiliated provider will not be covered under the member’s policy, and the member will be responsible for paying all costs of the visit. View prior authorization form.
The quickest way to receive a response is to submit your Prior Authorization Request online via Security Health Plan's Provider Portal. Below are the directions to do this.
- Go to www.securityhealth.org
- Enter your user name and password. (If you do not have a user name and password you may obtain one by completing the Provider Portal Access Request Form available on Security Health Plan's website by selecting “Providers,” “Electronic Data Interchange,” and "Provider Portal Access Request.”)
- Select Authorization Request.
- Select Medical Request.
- Enter member information.
- Under Requested Service/Procedure field, select Nonaffiliated Provider Authorization Request.
- When filling out the prior authorization request, be sure to include all CPT codes for the procedure(s), and the medical reason why a site-of-service exception is being requested for the specific office procedure(s).
You can also contact Security Health Plan’s Health Services Department at 1-800-548-1224 to request a prior authorization to refer a member to a provider out of Security Health Plan's affiliated network. The coordinator will need the following information:
- Member name and Security Health Plan subscriber number
- CPT and ICD-9/10 codes as appropriate
- Provider and/or facility the member is being referred to
- Has the member seen this provider in past? When?
- Is the appointment or services scheduled? If yes, for what date has it been scheduled?
- Service being requested (for example, consult only, initiate treatment or assume ongoing care) or the referral request may be submitted on a Nonaffiliated Prior Authorization form.
- Explanation of why member cannot receive services from a Security Health Plan Affiliated Provider.
- The prior authorization may also be requested electronically via the Provider Portal as noted above.
- Provide supporting medical records with the request as appropriate.
- Failure to cooperate with the plan’s referral policies and procedures may constitute “good cause” for termination under the “Term and Termination” sections of the provider and facility contracts.
The Security Health Plan medical director will consider approval for services from a nonaffiliated provider only if all the following requirements are met:
- The services are medically necessary (as determined by Security Health Plan)
- The services are a covered benefit
- The services are not available from an affiliated provider
- The services are received from a Security Health Plan approved referral provider